Monday, October 24, 2011

Fresh Pasta (gluten free)

There is nothing like the taste of fresh pasta. I can vaguely remember the taste oh so long ago, when my aunt used to make carbonara using fresh pasta from Ohio City. My Nana always makes fresh pasta too, and I would eat more raw dough than actual cooked noodles. Those were the days...
Unfortunately, being gluten intolerant, traditional fresh pasta is no longer an option. But you know me, I don't let anything get in my way! I played around with this for a while, trying to make pasta the way I remembered and the way my Nana makes it. And hot diggity dog, I found it!

Enjoy, my gluten-intolerant friends. (and gluten-tolerant too! It's that good!)

Fresh Pasta

Ingredients

1/2 c all purpose gluten free flour (like Bob's Red Mill)
1 slice multigrain gluten free bread (Udi's or Rudi's)
~1/2 c whole milk
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
pinch of sea salt

Directions

1. Warm milk in a pan, but do not let it boil.
2. In the meantime, use the food processor to make breadcrumbs from the slice of bread
3. Mix flour, salt, and xanthan gum on a clean surface and make into a bowl.
4. Add breadcrumbs to the center of bowl.
5. Pour half of the warm milk into the center of the bowl, and mix with a fork
6. Continue pouring the milk and mixing with a fork until all of the milk is incorporated.
7. Knead until it reaches a dough-like consistency. Add more milk if too dry, or more flour if too wet.
8. Take small pieces of dough at a time and pull through pasta machine, until thickness reaches four.
9. At this point, go crazy! Make whatever shaped pasta you want. (Ravioli and pierogies work too!)
10. Boil in salted water until pasta floats (2-3 min)

No comments:

Post a Comment