Saturday, January 7, 2012

Veggie Sushi

Loving sushi. But what I don't love is the price at restaurants. I love the veggie sushi, and for rice and a few sticks of random veggies, I find myself paying one arm and two toes for just a couple pieces. My addiction to this fine Asian fare is hard to keep as a poor grad student, so I thought-- "Why not make my own?" How hard could it actually be? Well folks, it's super easy and cheap...and fun! What's better than that? Jenna and I had a good time making these rolls, and an even better time eating them! Impress your coworkers at lunch, and keep your New Year's diet in check with some yummy veggie sushi.

Veggie Sushi

makes 1 roll, 6-8 pieces
-1 cup sushi rice, cooked
-1 sheet of Nori
-Veggies, julienned (I used avocado, carrots, and cucumbers)
-Optional: Wasabi and tamari

Cook rice according to package, or using a rice maker (1.5 cups dried rice, 2 cups rice)
Place nori on a sushi mat, and cover with a thin layer of rice
Add the veggies in a line in the middle of the sheet
Roll, cut, and eat!




Other fun variations!

1. Green Goddess: asparagus, spinach, avocado, and cucumber
2. Thai Peanut: peanut butter, sesame seeds, cucumber, carrots, cilantro
3. Cali: sprouts, avocado, cucumber, cilantro
4. Greek Isle: roasted red peppers, basil, feta cheese, cucumber, kalamata olives
5. Mexicali: cilantro, corn, black beans, red cabbage
6. Farmers Market: zuchinni, squash, eggplant, mint

**Adding chopped nuts to any of these will boost their nutrition!

...Or try with fruit!
leave the nori out, and cook the rice with 1 c coconut milk and 1 c water

The possibilities are endless, have fun! We know we did.

Enjoy, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment